Thursday, October 11, 2007

Looky-Loos

I don't often travel the freeway during rush-hour. My job allows me to travel against the normal flow of traffic at the other end of the work week, but every now and then, a meeting, or training, draws me out onto the highway most of the working force is accustomed to. I seriously don't know how the 9 to 5'er does it.

The thing that really gets me is the "Looky-Loo". Traffic is moving along great, thick, but moving at a speed I can be alright with, maybe even fast enough to get me into town a little early so I can get me a warm drink on this particularly cool morning. And then, without warning, the traffic comes to a virtual standstill.

No smoke. No fire. No flashing lights from patrol cars or fire engines or ambulances, not even a tow truck. Nothing.

What we have is two cars completely off to the side of the road having just been involved in a fender bender. Nothing serious, no blood, no body parts strewn along the roadway, nothing to necessitate the stop and look traffic that has now clogged the freeway and turned all of the normally sane and good-natured people into cursing savages.

I mean, is there really a need to come to a complete stop to look at another's misfortune? I don't understand it. I've been told, there's a little bit of a voyeur in everyone. Maybe that's it, a little bit of voyeurism being exercised on the freeway.

Stop. You're angering lots of people, good people. Save it for the privacy of your own home where the rest of us don't have to be affected by it.

The Traffic Guy

No comments: