Sunday, October 14, 2007

Foul Weather Driving

So I'm cruising down one of the main thoroughfares where I live, a four lane roadway (two lanes in each direction) with multiple stoplights and very curvy, thinking how much I love the first rains of the season (always reminds me of the rainy seasons we had when I lived in Ecuador), when two vehicles blow by me in the #2 lane at about 60mph. Mind you, I'm already going just over 50 in a 45 zone.

Secretly I wished the two vehicles would do every other driver a favor and smash their $30,000.00 rockets into each other and then into the sound wall at the side of the road. I know, that's a terrible thing to say, but come on. The roads are still draining the excess water from the rain that's been falling all morning, it's still raining, and it's the first real rain of the season. All of that spells slick, nasty roads.

I think everyone who wants a driver's license should be forced to drive in really foul weather, I'm talking the really nasty stuff, snow falling so thick at night you have to turn your headlights off to see while driving on a packed, icy snow covered freeway (Been there and done that, no joke. Freakiest drive of my life), so they understand the posted speedlimit is the speed suggested in ideal driving conditions.

Think people. Drive safe. Truth is, the basic speed laws allow for officers to cite drivers driving at an "unsafe speed for road conditions". When you get a ticket for "speeding", it's not because you were driving too fast, it's because you were driving unsafe. Think about that the next time an officer pulls you over and tells you the reason for your detention is because of your speed.

Drive Smart. Drive Safe.

The Traffic Guy

No comments: